Hampton National Historic Site, in the Hampton area north of Towson, Baltimore County, Maryland,
United States, preserves a remnant of a vast 18th-century estate, including a Georgian manor house,
gardens, grounds, and the original stone slave quarters. The estate was owned by the Ridgely family
for seven generations, from 1745 to 1948. The Hampton Mansion was the largest private home in America
when it was completed in 1790 and today is considered to be one of the finest examples of Georgian
architecture in the U.S. Its furnishings, together with the estate's slave quarters and other preserved
structures, provide insight into the life of late 18th-century and early 19th-century landowning aristocracy.
Hampton was the first site selected as a National Historical Site for its architectural significance by the U.S.
National Park Service. The grounds were widely admired in the 19th century for their elaborate parterres
or formal gardens, which have been restored to resemble their appearance during the 1820s. Several trees
are more than 200 years old. In addition to the mansion and grounds, visitors may tour the overseer's
house and slave quarters.